Through a peer-review process, the FAZD Center is now considering white papers for competitively funding research and development (R&D) and education projects that can be completed in a 24 month period or less. These projects will relate to transformative, evolving and/or maturing R&D technologies that demonstrate significant improvement in the FAZD Center mission or operations of FAZD Center stakeholders. This open call for proposals outlines FAZD Center’s current research priorities that can be addressed either through new projects or extensions of currently or previously funded projects. International submissions are encouraged.
Proposal Submission/Selection Process
A two-phased proposal selection process will be used for this solicitation to minimize the cost and effort for prospective offerors. White papers (form attached below) submitted as part of this process will be reviewed by the FAZD Center Executive Committee (EC) to determine if the project satisfies the criteria described in this announcement. Upon review, the FAZD Center point of contact (POC) may encourage the submission of a full proposal. The offeror will receive response as to whether or not the white paper has been accepted within 1 week after submission. The offeror must then send a Letter of Intent within 1 week if they choose to submit a full proposal and which cut-off date it will be submitted by.
If an offeror is asked to submit a full proposal, the scope of work and budgets should reflect actual research or educational/outreach activities that will be fully accomplished within 24 months (2 years) or less. Submission documentation will be sent to the offeror after he or she has agreed to write a full proposal.
Each full proposal will then be scored and ranked by the Review External Advisory Panel (REAP). Projects that rank highly will be held for possible future funding. If the FAZD Center is approached by DHS or any other funding entity regarding the need for a certain project or research area and the ranked proposal meets this need, it may be passed-on for review and possible funding. Chosen proposals will be held for 1 year after selection.
Proposals must address one or more of the research aims described in the attached announcement. In addition to the broader topical areas listed, a specific area of strategic interest is the “development and testing of field deployable isothermal detection technologies for high-consequence animal disease pathogens.”
The impact, relevance and unique contribution of your proposed research, educational effort and/or technical concept must be clearly articulated in the white paper. In addition, the white paper should clearly state how your efforts differ from similar efforts and/or solutions and what specific advances or innovations will be produced. Selection of white papers/full proposals will be based on several overarching criteria:
- Alignment with the FAZD Center’s mission
- Value to FAZD Center stakeholders (industry, USDA, DHS, etc.)
- Possibility for technology transition
- Budget proportional to work being performed and resources used
- Cross-cutting with other FAZD Center themes
- Relevance and significance of proposed effort
- Scientific Merit
- Qualifications of personnel and adequate facilities
Amendment #4 (2/22/12)
- Due dates for REAP #2 have been moved:
- White Papers – July 13, 2012
- Full proposals – August 10, 2012
- Due dates for REAP #3 have been moved:
- White Papers – Fall 2012 (dates TBD)
- Full proposals – Fall 2012 (dates TBD)
Amendment #5 (5/1/12)
- Verbiage changes to EOS requirements and added EOS topical area of interest (3.5 First Responder Training) in Section 4 (Research Topics).
- BIO Point of Contact changed to email@example.com
Amendment #6 (6/4/12)
- Added Cross-Cutting to list of themes in Part IV. Research Topics
- Added topical area of strategic interest (Decontamination, Depopulation, and Disposal Strategies Following a High-Consequence Disease Outbreak) to Part IV.- Research Topics, under Cross-Cutting
Amendment #7 (7/24/12)
- Due date for REAP #2 Full Proposals has been moved
- Full Proposals – August 17, 2012
Send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Jennifer Rinderknecht, Research Associate. FAZD Center
- 1500 Research Parkway, Ste. B130, College Station, TX 77843-2129